Why the air quality management plan?
An air quality management plan must within the domain of the relevant national department, province or municipality seek to:
· Give effect, in respect of air quality, to Chapter 3 of the National Environmental Management Act to the extent that that Chapter is applicable to it;
· Improve air quality;
· Identify and reduce the negative impact on human health and the environment of poor air quality
· Address the effects of emissions from the use of fossil fuels in residential applications;
· Address the effects of emissions from industrial sources;
· Address the effects of emissions from any point or non-point source also other than the ones stated above;
· Implement the Republic’s obligations in respect of international agreements and
· Give effect to best practice in air quality management;
The AQMP should also describe how the relevant national department, province or municipality would comply with such other requirements as may be prescribed by the Minister.